Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Wiggles, Sesame Street & Teletubbies

I'm impressed with my students' analysis of how children TV shows, namely Teletubbies, The Wiggles and Sesame Streets, help children acquire language.  As they rightly pointed out, rhyming, repetition, and modelling are three prevalent approaches.  In these three shows, they have activities, such identifying, predicting, and guessing to engage the children.  All the activities are kinaethetic and musical oriented.

What impressed me the most is the students' attempt to connect to article written by Rice (1989), 'Children's Language Acquisition'. They even linked the learning process to Piaget's cognitive learning framework which was discussed in the other module.  For me, this is an enjoyable session as they've started to connect and apply what they've learnt, a skill which I rarely saw last semester.



WKT

No comments:

Post a Comment