Monday, October 3, 2011

aliens and Google

This is another entry to respond to the video Changing Education Paradigms.

From 04:38, the narrator describes our current generation being exposed to all sorts of media compared to any other generation on earth.

To some extent, I do believe that the gen-Y is most exposed to both media and entertainment. Look around, they are everywhere. I bet that if aliens were observing us, they'd think that we simply can't live without checking our mobile phones at least once before we leave the house or for that matter, NOT log on to facebook the moment you turn on your computers. However, I don't think they are distracted all the time - I mean, not all are distracted all the time - except for a small group of people in another part of the world, they do.

But the majority have a sense of time management and their parents are trying their best to control their habits. Moderation is key here.

I could be an awesome player at DotA, starring ghoulishly at the computer for 2 hours straight trying to defend my clan or something like that and score equally awesome grades in academics.

People who are gamers are not uneducated. In fact, try asking them a really hard word or concept, they don't just say that they don't know, they utilise the resources they have access to to find out. Aha, you've guessed it - they Google it. You'd be surprised with the kind of knowledge they have despite being exposed to some many kinds of technology.


Try giving a child an iPad or a Gameboy, they don't ask their friends how to use it, they don't go to bookstores to find a book for dummies to help them, they figure out themselves. And often enough, they get really good with it.

I believe this is why or partially why teachers need to equip themselves with at least some knowledge about ICT to keep their students engage. I was once exposed to a facebook interface during an English writing class and was asked to "Comment" on peers' work or "Like" the way it was written.


Likewise with what I'm doing now. I'm "Posting" my opinion on a blog and this is definitely something I don't miss out telling my friends about my course and module. How interesting.


-potatoes-

1 comment:

  1. Guess, blogging is can be useful too, isn't it, Potatoes?

    Terms like 'uneducated' is definitely problematic. We need to avoid using it.

    WKToo

    ReplyDelete