Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Discriminate hate, spread the love !


I would like to present my point of view about social classes and educational development of students. Firstly, from chapter “Education and Social Class” it has occurred to me that there are unfair situations between Middle Class and Working Class society.  The Education Act of 1944 to 1988 have made a curriculum whereby the “11 plus” examination is the way to determine the type of school an individual will enter. And the Grammar school at the time was a great school to be in (Floud, Halsey and Martin,1966). I was definitely shocked how the Working Class society that scored similar to the Middle Class society but they were not chosen to enroll into the particular school because of their social classification.

That is what we call discrimination ! In the modern days of 2011, could you imagine this situation happening again ? Believe in or not, it does ! As an example, there was an educational organization for students that seemed very effective. As a normal, knowledge thirsty student everyone signed up for it. But the organization picks the student to enter their programme based on an entry exam. After the announcement of the intake of students, it is discovered that only the students that scored well in their current exam were enrolled because they are “clever students” or because these students “have potential” to excel in their studies. But what about the other students that scored less ? Don’t they have potential ? What proof is there to classify them as not clever students ?

The problem now from my point of view is that, the society passes the wrong values to other generations. They are reproducing generations that are only “academically successful”. That is where cultural reproduction comes in the picture. Can you see  that students who are academically clever are always the ones given the chance to pursue their studies or given funding for research but the others are neglected without giving a chance for them to explore their other abilities. Yes, they might not be good in science or maths. But they might be excellent in language or arts. For that situation, the academically clever student thinks that they are better than the others. Because of the Cultural Capital we insulate in them. By praising them, they might be better at one thing only.

You see, in this world people has to be given Equity. Equity is giving different mediums to different people so that they are given the same chance in life as other people. When equity is given, equality will be achieved. When different people are given the different chance to explore themselves in different areas. They can be “as successful” as Scientist or Doctors. As long as they are happy doing their job. Wouldn’t the world be a happy place if everyone is equal ? Everyone receive their part of the help ? Wouldn’t the world be a happy place if everyone feels fairness ? No discrimination ! Just happiness, given equity and equality is achieved !

Happy Equity ! Without no boundaries.

-Wily-

3 comments:

  1. I have even came across Private Secondary school which only accept smart students. I wanted to help a child to enroll in that school for Form 1. The boy scored 5B's and 2C's. The administrator just closed his report book and told us that their school was already full of students for Form 1. I would have believed her without taking her gestures consideration. I am really upset with this kind of system and discrimination.
    - Eagle -

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in primary school, my Science’s teacher gave us a test. There are 40 questions in the test. As my Science was not good as other so my test only get 9 out of 40. When the teacher ask who get below 19 then stands up so I stand up. All of my friends that stand up all get 18,19 marks and I am the only one get 9 marks. He very upset on me and scold me and after he scold he also tell this to other teacher. To me, as a teacher, you have to teach me until I understand and not only scolding me and did not tell me why my answers were wrong. In this case, I think he did not give equity to everyone and I felt so upset about this matter.

    -Jelly-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes i agree with both of you, all the teachers now are fond solely towards academic result. As teachers/ academic institutions, they need to be more encouraging for their students. COME ON PEOPLE, LETS CHANGE THIS !!

    -Wily

    ReplyDelete