Monday, October 3, 2011

In Which A Student Ponders


In response to the video: Changing Education Paradigms

With regards to Sir Ken Robinson when he mentioned that the two main pillars of education cause chaos, I believe that, even though it may seem realistic, it is also idealistic.My reasoning is that even though this model of education does produce fully function individuals who contribute to society economically and intellectually, the model is biased towards those who do not have an inclination to the subjects taught according to the model.

This means that the model of education mentioned only conforms people. Thus we end up having that production line mentality mentioned.Personally, I think these people who are made to conform never do as well as those who already have a natural inclination for those subjects taught in the model. It probably taxes the student as the process of conforming as it is not natural for them.This Also affects them psychologically as it would make them feel that they are not as smart as those who are inclined towards the subject. 

As Sir Ken Robinson mentioned, we as future educator should change that!!After all we have that special power to make these changes. Instead of following the crowds and judging everyone in a particular pool of mind, we have to be aware that every one is unique and has their own special abilities.Not everyone can sing nor can everyone do maths quickly. In this view point it would be unfair to expect all students to do well in everything, although  I do not deny there are some who may be able to. But generally, I agree that what we expect of students according to the model of education is a myth!

The point which I can truly relate to was where Sir Ken Robinson mentioned that geniuses in divergent thinking were actually kindergarten students but unfortunately their abilities drop as they grew older. I believe that I WAS fairly creative as a child, creative in the sense of making up stories. However, as I grew older I found it more and more difficult to create stories and eventually I gave up. The reason why was because people around me always told me “This does not make sense and it cannot possibly happen in reality”. What I considered to be creativity, I fancy as divergent thinking and it is rather sad to see this happening to people other than me as well.

These are the things which really stood out to me in the video and what I thought about it.

-Ally-

p.s.: Sorry if this was boring  

1 comment:

  1. You need not apologise, Ally. At least you've got the gist of the video.

    WKToo

    ReplyDelete