Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The fountain of youth has grown rather old.

How about the fountain of intelligence?

Based on chapter 7 of our text book, I have gained ... intelligence!

But what exactly is intelligence?Well... according to the text book:
"Unfortunately, during the last 100 years nobody has been able to build a comprehensive,scientifically coherent construct of intelligence."(Győri Fülöp, 2010)
Great!..So we don't know what intelligence is exactly but somehow we hear people say


"Oh, you're so intelligent!"

I really wish I could ask people how would they define intelligence but I can't so I shall try to wrap my head around this. Here goes!!--->


I figured that intelligence is viewed very differently by different people because of background. I have gathered that Intelligence comes by genetics and is affected by environment and it is always increasing according to James Flynn. Factors such as family, education, gender, ethnicity and culture all affect intelligence which encompasses cognitive development.


From my own personal experience, relating to how gender affects our scoring, I find it true as most of my male friends are much better than my female friends at subjects such as physics. However,God is fair to everyone, I find that my female friends have a much better command of English compared to the males. Unfortunately or fortunately this situation does not necessarily mean that all boys are better at physics than girls and all girls have a better command of English compared to boys.


During the Learners and Learning module, if I were to relate that cognitive development is overall intelligence then, I can see how some of the factors stated in the first paragraph would affect the overall intelligence development. I understand how culture affect the overall intelligence development but I do not get how ethnic group differences could affect it. I don't think that overall intelligence development has anything to do with being a different race. I would classify it under culture and genetics more than ethnicity.


Knowing different views of intelligence has *as cliche as this sounds* given me a broader view on how intelligence is perceived by others as well as made me think of why and how factors such as family, culture and environment could actually affect cognitive development. Relating these new information to my own self, I understand better now why I did better at certain subjects in school and why there are certain concepts which I just can't grasp.


~Signing off to go on a quest for the Fountain of Wisdom!~


-Ally-

No comments:

Post a Comment