Monday, October 17, 2011

Black, White and Chess

Disclaimer: I do not have anything against white people and if I have offended anyone with this post, I apologize. What I realized, living in a multicultural country is that...honestly?... every one is a little bit, only just a little bit, racist =P
BUT WE TRY NOT TO BE RACIST FOR THE SAKE OF NATIONAL PEACE. OKAY??!!


On a Chess board, we see a pattern of dark and light coloured squares. The playing pieces are likewise dark and light coloured.


Do you know which colour starts the game?


The answer is white(light coloured).


Based on chapter six of Education Studies Text book, I have gathered that the government surly had good intentions when they began Citizenship Education, unfortunately this only made an avenue for racism against black and minority ethnic(BME) students as Citizenship Education was not designed to handle racism directly. The teachers then decided that the best way to handle this situation was to ignore the differences and treat each child equally. What they did not realize then was that this would make things worst for BME students.


Also base on my lesson on Learners and Learning today, I learnt that what students need was not just equality but equity. Equity would enable students to have equality as it helps all students be on a level playing field. An example would be a teacher going extra lengths to ensure that a student who has transferred from a different country understand and learns the ropes of the new school. As my lecturer mentioned during lesson, it may not be equal as the teacher is giving extra attention to a particular foreign student but it enables the student to fit in better and enable them to study better due to the lessened difference.


I was rather upset that BME schools only got hand-me-down teaching  materials and facilities from the 'white' schools, just like a game of chess the "white" playing piece has the right to go first. If the government had intended to do such things as Citizenship Education in the first place, they should have prepare enough resources to give ALL citizens have the same facilities to truly be sure all citizens have been treated with equity and equality. I believe that this would help BME students achieve better testing scores and thus BME students would not be labeled as less intelligent than white students.


In the future, when I do experience this issue regarding racism, I hope to treat my students with both equity and equality. Coming from a multiracial  country, I believe that when I begin teaching, it would not be my first time dealing with racism and hopefully I would have enough experience to handle the situation as I should. 

PEACE OUT~
-Ally-

1 comment:

  1. Ally, this is a powerful piece of writing. It is reflective and insightful. Thanks for sharing and WELL DONE!

    WKToo

    ReplyDelete