Monday, October 10, 2011

How culture affects education

Upon entering University, it seems that westerner perceive that Asian are overly hardworking and that western students don't work hard enough.


I believe, being an Asian, Asians are NOT hardworking by nature. Us Asians are just brought up to work hard to bring honour to our families. From the young age of six, I remember sitting a long period at a desk,returning home from kindergarten with appalling amounts of home work and being punished for not getting straight 'A's. Westerners believe that, at the age of six children should learn from playing in a safe environment, doing fun activities and that hitting your child could get you arrested. Many westerners would be shocked upon witnessing a seven year old child lugging a back pack of equivalent size and weight as him or herself.

These examples shows us how our culture affects education.Honestly, I don't entirely agree to either methods, it could be because my country was once colonized by westerners, many people in Asian countries look up to the western way of living. However, I believe that a combination of methods from all over the world could be devised to suit the many different types of students. This would then solve the issue of students going against the school system as it would not seem to be conforming students to be what the institution is telling them about their own future. This suggestion seems rather idealistic though.

To a certain extent, I am quite sure we are improving as assimilation between cultures is becoming more and more acceptable in the 21st century. I use the word assimilation even though it is described as a minority culture being absorbed into a more prominent culture because it is not only a one way absorption but two-ways. I would encourage trying to understand how students think as it would bring benefit to the future generations and there would be less resistance against the school system.

I did not fully understand the text as I found it too profound for my comprehension, so I have written this entry based upon my own reading and also in attempt to respond to eagle's video post.

-Ally-

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/lees.356/how_culture_affects_education_

2 comments:

  1. I agree with Ally that the reading is very profound. I too, found it very hard to understand. I see words, but it does not make any sense to me about how culture actually affects education in this context. In fact, I thought that the text focussed more on culture than on how it affects education.

    -potatoes-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes and Ally,

    I agree with both of you. The reading is challenging as the writer glosses through theories fairly quickly by assuming that readers will have certain knowledge.

    However, by reading both of your entries. It shows that you two have grasped how culture is incorporated in the school system through the set up of the school, teaching methodology,assessment, and classroom management. Usually, the "unseen" element or so-called ideology is the backbone of a system. Our schools are good examples.

    Thanks for the link, Ally.

    WKToo

    ReplyDelete